Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kickin' the habit

24 years now I have been biting my nails. Its a disgusting habit I just can't seem to kick. Yes, I have tried everything. Even the "bite no more" gross clear polish that everyone swear by. They say once you taste it you will never bite your nail. Yea, not me. I chew right through it.

For my birthday this year I was given a pedicure and manicure. I have incredibly short nails so I got a full set of acrylics put on. No sense in getting my nails done when I don't really have any. I love my acrylics, but they are a lot of maintenance that I just can't keep up with so I took them off on Saturday. My real nails were semi long. Really long in my eyes and very tempting to bite. I don't know what it is about them I find so appealing but I decided that if I filed them and painted them maybe I would find them attractive and not want to bite them? So I went to the store and bought a couple colors of dollar store nail polish and some files and went to it. Wait, I don't even know how to paint my nails. I have never had my nails painted in my life. I have always had them so short since I bite them, that there was no point in painting them. So I called on my neighbor, Emily to paint them for me. Its been almost 48 hours and I haven't even attempted to bite them. So far so good. The polish was cheap and starting to chip off, and the part of my nail that was showing was tempting me so I went and splurged and bought a little more expensive polish to put on tonight so I wouldn't want to bite them. I just really want to stop.. plus I think I made a deal with Steve that we could go on a cruise if I could break this habit. I say I THINK I made that deal because basically I said to him " we are going on a cruise if I break this habit" he said OK.. but he was watching basketball... so not sure if he knows what he agreed to. Cross your fingers that I can continue this. 2 days down... 2 million (give or take a few) more to go.

6 comments:

Jess said...

GOOD!!! You need to kick that habit. HAs anyone ever explained to you that under your nails lives the most disgusting bacteria and germs that if you looked at it under a microscope you would be so sickened you were putting you mouth too it... yup, its that bad...I have a friend that had the same habit and kicked it when he found out how nasty it is under there...

:) hopefully that helped a bit to add to your goal ... lol :)

I want to see your nails painted! I bet its cute! Good luck and keep up the good work! :)

Sarah said...

Lol - love your "deal" for the cruise. When they're watching basketball is always the best time to tell them about expensive ideas. ;)
Good luck with the nail biting!

Katy said...

Yes Jess, I know how gross it is under my nails and its probably why I'm sick all the time but it hasn't stopped me yet

Melanie said...

My little sister was a MAJOR nail biter. My mom tried every nail biting remedy under the sun. Megan would just chew, suck, or endure everything.

It wasn't until she started painting her nails (with a good base coat, color, then top coat- keeps everything on longer and better looking) that she stopped. She has a huge shoebox of colors now just so she can keep up on not biting her nails. Once a month Megan has a big nail polish party with all of her nieces and one (who has always bitten her nails) stopped biting them just because they were painted.

I think nail polish is the way to go for girls.

mikeandang said...

Cruise. Just think cruise. If you can get a cruise out of that, you go girl!

The Nelsons said...

You're so funny! I love it! Good luck. Habits sure are hard to break for me too. Some people are like 'I don't like this about myself' and lickety split they change it. What's up with those people? You're doing great and it's nice to see new blog posts!