Saturday, January 10, 2009

Body Worlds 3




Standing elbow to elbow with strangers, looking at dead bodies in strange poses doesn't sound that exciting but in fact it was and very worth it. This afternoon we had the chance to go with Steve's family to Body Worlds 3 at the library downtown. To be honest, I am not a big fan of museums but I must say I was pleasantly surprised, occasially grossed out and very amazed with what we saw. Yes, they are sliced and diced in a way that mirrors more of art than science. But you will leave the exhibit with a great understanding of the human body, and a desire to stop bad habits (like smoking) when you see what your organs look like.

As a woman with a desire to be a mother, I was drawn to the exhibit on pregnancy. I could see what an embryo and then fetus looked like from conception to birth. I caution you, it was mildly depressing, realizing that some mother had to lose each one of these babies in order for us to see them on display. But I decided to make it a learning experience and be greatful for the experience. I had no clue that at the end of 9 weeks you could actually see the eyes, each finger and toe and mouth. It makes me so excited to be a mother someday, I can't wait!

Did you know that they currently have 6800 living people who have willed their bodies to the program? Wow! I think that for those who love science, or want to live on in someway or another its the way to go. For me? I think I will stick to the other side of the glass. I really dont need millions of people staring at my body. I will pass on that one. After today, I now have a great appreciation for the human body and deeper desire to have abs like those bodies did.

2 comments:

The Emery's said...

That's so cool that you got to go! I've heard is way neat! Although, I hated taking Anatomy the human body has always fascinated me too. What an experience! And that is so heart breaking about the babies. Hopefully it might change 1 young girls mind about having an abortion.

Anonymous said...

We had so much fun with you guys! I loved Body Worlds I could go there every week, seriously!