Thursday, July 2, 2009

And the Service Will Continue

A friend sent me this blog and it brought me to tears. It is the sweetest, sadest thing I have seen in a long time. As I read through her experience, her life, I realized I knew some of her relatives. How sad I feel for them. The blog is www.sadiehuish.blogspot.com check it out if you want but be prepared for tears.

In one of their posts the Mom posted a quote her brother said to her that really hit me. it said

"you can see why God allows us to live in an imperfect world, because it allows us all the opportunity to serve. And when we serve we are becoming more like our Savior"

Service has always been one of the most important things in my life. I have made it a point to serve my friends, family and all those around me. I always feel my best when I am serving others. I don't make it a point to do something for someone and then sit there and wait for a "Thank You" or something in return. I don't care about those things. So why is that as of lately I have been having a hard time with this. Ok, let me clarify. I don't have a hard time serving, it's that recenlty I was told that I am self-fish, and ungiving. I don't give my time or talents and basically put myself before everyone else. It was really difficult for me to hear. I have always had a problem where I don't put myself, and my happiness before others. I make sure others are taken care of first so It was really hard for me to hear. I can't get it out of my head and I'm dwelling on it. It has made me almost want to stop helping people, but then I can across this scripture today which has quickly changed my thoughts.
In Matthew 25:35-36 it reads “I was hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me”
Before reading this what I really wanted to do is not serve. Not be there for people. Not drop everything in an instant to help family and friends. But that is not me. I would be absolutly miserable if I couldn't serve. So instead I made a goal to just serve even more. If someone out there is thinking that Im not doing enough, I will work harder to show them how muchI care. I'm not going to lie, this has taken me oh, a good week to figure out. It's sad that it took so long, but it also gave me the opportunity to really read and study and pray hard about the importance of service.

That being said I want to thank everyone of you for all you have done for me. You all have served me in one way or another and I am so thankful for you in my life. I hope that if there is anything I can do I can inturn serve you.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Kates!!!!

Whoever you talked to doesn't know you like I know you! You have been such a blessing in my life! I am thankful for the service you have shown me for merely being my friend! I will always be grateful to my Heavenly Father for you and for the blessing it was to have you come into my life to help me with my struggles! Thank You!

Love ya tons!
Jen:)

Sarah said...

Great attitude. I'm sorry that someone said something so hurtful to you. They obviously don't know you well...