Monday, November 8, 2010

Today

Today is a snowy/rainy cold day. As much as I hate the cold, I am loving just lounging in my PJ's today. Doing nothing but holding my sweet, screaming baby who for some reason made it through all of church, all of the blessing get together after and then as soon as we were home he was not a happy boy. Needless to say, even though I haven't had time to do much today I have had time to think. Some might say that is not always a good thing for me. I tend to dwell on things a lot, but today its good.

Yesterday before Sacrament meeting started my sister in-law and her friend were in the chapel playing the piano. They seemed so happy playing. I could tell he truly loved playing the piano. I love the piano, and always have. I have played for..oh gosh, a LONG time. Played is the key word. I wish that I took more time to play the piano now which then led to the thought that I need to maintain the talents and interests that I have always loved doing. I used to hike.. A LOT! I want to keep doing that. I used to play all sports. I want to start playing more sports. Singing. Reading. Writing. Life changes, its unavoidable. I don't want to become boring or mundane, always doing the same things. Life is too short to take so seriously. I am so glad that I married a man who agrees with me on that.
Even though I have my own little family now of 3, I think its still important to keep some of the things that make me who I am in my life. I need to adapt to the changes that are happening but make time for my hobbies, interests and talents.

4 comments:

The Nelsons said...

I agree 100%! Unfortunately for me, I have no talents or interests to keep up. Boo. But, you have lots and should do all of them as much as you possibly can. Variety is the spice of life, as they say. :)

Melanie said...

Self realization. Awesome right?

A while back I was in the car with a bunch of my family members (sisters, brothers, in-laws, etc). It was a longer drive and we started talking about dreams. What would your ultimate dream job be? Everyone had fantastic answers, and almost instantaneously.

I couldn't answer the question, and this REALLY bothers me. What happened to my dreams? I've evolved. Some of the things that used to make up me are still around, others have been left by the wayside (for better or worse). I'm okay with that.

I've changed. A lot.

I realized that my dreams have changed. Instead of wanting to teach high school music, I want to teach my children at home. Instead of playing the piano every day, I attend to my family's needs. Instead of reading a book a week, I prepare for my church calling and serve others.

Obviously there are still things I enjoy doing for myself. I feel like my hobbies have matured with my life.

The Emery's said...

I'm such a slacker on blogs lately but I loved this post. I hear ya! And you are so incredibly talented and full of life that I would hate for you to ever be any other way. McKay is so darn cute in his halloween outfit too!! 1 more month and it will be better :) Oh and come see me!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way Katy. I went to a doctor's appointment and ya gotta love the new patient small talk..."so what are your hobbies?" I couldn't even think of one... I'm too busy taking care of kids for hobbies. WAIT...is FB a hobby? hahaha