Thursday, December 18, 2008

Memories

On this day especially, I am so greatful for memories!

One of my favorite memories I have about my brother is "Pooper Man" haha it make's me laugh just thinking about it. So, if any of you knew my brother, you know he had a great imagination. One thing he LOVED to imagine was being a super hero. Any kind really. Well, one day he found some brown fabric in our garage and decided to make that a cape. Being the boy that he is, he then decided his name would be "Pooper Man." He would stand at the top of the stairs and pretend to fly down them while shouting "I am Pooper Man." Everytime I see brown fabric I think of him. Thanks for being my super hero Spencer!!

My brother and I were 2 years apart. So when I was a Sophmore in high school, he was a senior. Growing up we were never really that close. We argued all the time, like typical brothers and sisters. I remember the day that it all changed. I was half way through my first year of high school. There was a boy who really liked me, and was trying ANYTHING to get me to date him. I really just was not interested in him and I had a boyfriend already. Well, this boy decided that because he couldn't have his way he would do what he could to make my life miserable. He happend to have seminary the same time and teacher as my brother, but this boy didn't realize that my brother was in his class. He started spreading horrible rumors about me and my brother overheard amd cmpletely stuck up for me. I don't know what was said by my brother but I do know that, that boy left me alone from then on. I was so greatful that I had a big brother to watch out for me! From then on, I tried my best to become better friends with him and have a better realtionship with him.

My brother was the funniest man I ever met! Seriously! He was hillarious! I remember taking a trip to yellowstone with my family one year. I think I was around 11 years old. We stayed in a litle cabin with no T.V and us kids got pretty bored, very easily with no T.V. Well, lucky us that we have a brother/son that could memorize and ENTIRE movie, word for word after watching it just once. He perfromed Ace Ventura when Nature Calls our first night in that cabin. We laughed hysterically all night and he did it perfectly. Probably better than actually watching the movie.

Spencer had a fantastic voice. He was in every honor choir throughout school, including madrigals. I remember I think it was his Junior year, he had to sing a solo at their annual Christmas Concert. He sang "I'm gettin' nothing for Christmas." he sounded great, but he did mess up. I remember watching him as he messed up and he tried so hard not to be embaressed and just carry on. I know he was feeling very bad though. He got through the end of the song and the entire congregation gave him a standing ovation. I was so proud of him!

I remember right before he left on his mission I was never closer to him. I considered him one of my best friends. I loved spending time with him, and just talking to him about my "boy" problems and other high school drama. I knew he would understand. Watching him leave on his mission was an incredibly hard thing to do, but I was so proud that he made the choice to sereve the Lord. Even if I had known that he wasn't going to be returning back to us when his 2 years was finished I still would have supported him in going on his mission. At least I know that he passed away while serving the Lord. It is so great to know that he is in the Celestial Kingdom. Waiting there... rooting for the rest of us to make it back there. I love knowing that I have my very own guardian angel watching over me and my family daily! We love and miss you so much Spencer! I can't wait to see you again, luckily Families are Forever!! Happy Heaven day!!

5 comments:

The Finlinsons said...

Oh, I really like that blog. It makes me remember all of the great memories that I've had with my brother.

The Emery's said...

Katy that was so fun to hear all those memories of your brother! He sounds like he was a lot of fun, very talented, and most importantly a good brother. Even if it took a few years. :) I didn't realize you were so close in age. I'm happy that you are able to remember so many good times!

Michelle

caitlin said...

It's good to hear stuff like that. I think it makes people realize how important family is. Thanks for the reminder Katy. You're a great example to me.

Jenny said...

That was so sweet! It made me cry! Deepest sympathy!

Sarah said...

What a neat post - I really liked hearing more about Spencer. He sounds like a great guy. We are so blessed to know that families are forever, and I'm so glad that you are part of our family.