Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ronald McDonald House

We had the opportunity today to serve people in need. We went with my sister and her family and my Mom to the Ronald McDonald House downtown.
The Ronald McDonald House is a home for forty-five families each night. . .a place where they can break away from the hospital, yet be available at a moment’s notice. . .or a place where children being treated as out-patients can live with their parents, brothers and sisters. Just as important, it is a place where parents can meet and talk with other families who are experiencing some of the same fears and concerns, and establish a mutual support system so critically needed at this time. Whey family has to travel far for medical reasons, this is a place where they can stay for free to stay close to their loved one in the hospital. Because it's free for them, it helps to take a little stress off their shoulders.

There are a lot of volunteer opportunites there,but what my family chose to do was make dinner for the families that were staying there. This consisted of us bringing our own food items to prepare the meal, then preparing it there for them. We made spaghetti and meatballs with salad and french bread. It was really neat to see the differnt families there and see how greatful they were to us for the warm meal we had prepared. Here are a few pictues of us making the dinner.









"Regardless of other circumstances, you have spiritual freedom. Use it to choose your attitude. Use it to reach out and serve others in love." unknown

I am so greatful for the chance I have to serve others. I was having a horrible day and was actually contemplating cancelling this and not going. I am so glad I Chose not to do that, that I realized how important this was for the people who were counting on us tonight. It certainly took my mind off my problems when I saw all he familes there. I knew it wasn't where they wanted to be and I knew that there are so many other people out there going through much more than I am. I'm thankful for the challenges in my life and that I can choose my attitude and learn from my trials.

3 comments:

The Larsons said...

Wow thats so cool that you guys did that! You two are such a great example to us on how to live the gospel!!

caitlin said...

What a good example you are. I wish I volunteered more. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! But not surprising, you have the kindest heart of anyone I know, you are always thinking of others, what an example you are to little old self absorbed me!